Sign in to follow this  
Dukath

Nintendo Switch or PS VR?

7 posts in this topic

I am currently trying to decide on either a Nintendo Switch, or a PS VR Headset. Feel free to weigh in if you own one or the other. 

I honestly don't need any kind of portability. I've never been much into gameboys and handheld consoles and such.

My recommendation between the two is Switch, mostly because IMO it has more quality games on the platform that justify the purchase than VR.

Switch is effectively the one home for all major Nintendo titles now, and the titles that have come out exclusively on it so far are for the most part, all amazing.  Not every game will appeal to you, but there are certainly going to be a few of them that will.  I've personally bought into BotW, Mario Odyssey, Pokemon Lets Go, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Octopath Traveler, Mario + Rabbids, and MK8D among others, I love all of them. The portability of Switch is amazing, and it is something that you will likely find yourself utilizing.  The downsides of Switch are that Nintendo still can't get their damned online straightened out to modern standards and social features on Switch are practically nonexistent, and games will run at weaker resolutions and framerates than their multiplatform counterparts.  It's probably the most powerful gaming portable on the market (excluding laptops), and the weakest current gen home console at the same time.

VR wise, I own an Oculus, so while not a PSVR, most of the games on PSVR have been available on Oculus/Vive for a while.  VR is truly a unique form of gaming, and can not and will never be replicated by gaming on a monitor.  Despite the fact that you know the world you are in is not "real" it still feels real.  However, gen 1 VR has a bit of a problem with the games.  The trend right now with VR games is that most of them are like arcade games that last a few minutes or so and that's it until you start a new game.  VR games also are currently a bit limited in scope due to the movement issue.  Movement in VR either does not happen (stationary sitting games like racing games and a lot of the VR platformers like Moss), you point to move (which can be clunky), or you move with a thumbstick (which can be very nauseating).  Furthermore, if you have a decently competent PC right now, I think you should save up and get a PC VR headset instead if you wanted to make the leap.  You don't need a monster build to support VR now, a 1060 or equivalent could drive VR at the 90Hz you see on Oculus and Vive.  (Btw, note that PSVR is a 60Hz experience, not 90).

• Like 1

Thanks for all the info, especially your extensive post Phasevortx. I went ahead and purchased the switch. I'll probably get Smash, Zelda, and Mario party for me and the wife to play.