Sign in to follow this  
copat149

Veterans Day/WWI Armistice Anniversary

4 posts in this topic

Today, Nov 11th, the countries of Denmark, France, the United Kingdom, the United States, and a slew of other countries will celebrate Veterans Day/Armistice Day etc. Today we honor and remember Veterans of all services for their sacrifices to their respective nations, both past, and present. These men and women have faithfully served their nation, willingly offering up their lives in the defense of everything they hold dear.

While I do not speak for other countries, Veterans Day in the US is a day of brotherhood for those that have served. It is a day that we remember what our sacrifices mean, what we have fought and bled for in the defense of our great Nation. Many of my fellow brothers and sisters in-arms will gather today, and tell stories of their time in service, whether at peace or at war. Many of our fellow clan members have, or still do, faithfully serve their nation; today we honor your sacrifices: the time you spent far from home, away from your loved ones. The time you spent training to fight, and if necessary, lay down your life in defense of your nation, and more importantly, your comrades.

The bond we have formed in our service is not a one that is easily broken, or forgotten. Regardless of branch, or nation, we share a kinship unlike any other. We have fought alongside each other, sharing in the blood, sweat, and toil that is the military. Some of us have served our time in war, in places far away and strange to our own home. In combat we have taken this bond, and forged it in steel stronger than any armor we possess. This bond is our strength, the very bedrock our courage and tenacity in combat is founded on. It is this bond of brotherhood that would bring us home together, with our shields, or on them. Men and women from all over the world have given their body and soul in service to their nation.
Some would return home, missing a part of themselves, leaning more than ever on their brothers and sisters. Today, more than ever, we must take the time to remember their sacrifice. “All gave some, but some gave all.”

This year, Nov 11th holds an even greater significance. 100 years ago, on the 11th hour, of the 11th day, of the 11th month, the First World War would come to an end. After 4 years, 3 months, and 2 weeks of intense fighting, often hand to hand, the guns would fall silent, and church bells not heard since the beginning of the war would ring once more. 38,830,500 soldiers and civilians on all sides would be wounded or killed in the fighting, and even those unscathed would bear the mental scars of warfare for the rest of their lives.  To this day, the scars left upon the Earth from the shelling and fighting can still be seen. Soldiers fought valiantly, on all sides, in conditions and against odds that are unimaginable today, in places like Verdun, Belleau Wood, Ypres, Tannenberg, and the Marne. Stories and legend live on from the 4 years of combat, such as the Attack of the Dead Men in 1915, or the Lost Battalion of 1918, as soldiers from many nations faced the horrors of war with steadfast courage and an iron will. The Great War would be marked by the use of tactics and weapons the world had never seen, with devastating effect as the old war collided head on with modern warfare. The war would inspire many authors, artists, and musicians to create compelling works of art and literature from their experiences, such as “All Quiet on the Western Front,” and its heavy influence on J.R.R. Tolkien’s “Lord of the Rings.” Today, 100 years later, we remember this war with the Red Poppy as the symbol of death, renewal, and life, with the poem “In Flanders Fields” by Lt. Col.. John McCrae.

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row by row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard among the guns below.

We are the dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved, and were loved, and now we lie
                    In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe;
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If yea break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
                    In Flanders fields.

While the last Veteran of WWI has passed, we must make the effort to remember their sacrifices and hardships in this terrible conflict; lest we forget the mistakes of the past. 
To All service members, regardless of branch or nation:

Thank You.

3E73DB6D00000578-0-image-m-53_1489999320823.jpg

world-war-i-colorized-photos_cover_04.jpg

ww1a.jpg

wwi-no-mans-land-once-450w-245966614.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Achievements

What beautiful words those were, Armistice Day means a lot to myself too. I was in the Army Cadet Force for a while in my young teens, however I couldn’t join up when I came of age due to health reasons. I do however respect and have a lot of pride in knowing that my Dad and my Ancestors have fought for my Country’s (and the worlds) freedom. I’d like to share with you all my 2nd Great Uncle’s story and Medals from WW1... Arthur Horton signed up with the Coldstream Guards in 1905, he went to Egypt and India before the War broke out in 1914, although being a soldier first he was actually a qualified cook, I have a letter dated 1919 from one of his friends saying how much everyone loved his food. We have a photograph of him cooking in the trenches (although I haven’t seen it yet) So after being active during the whole 4 years of the War, he was discharged with the 1914, 1914/1915 Bronze Star Medal, the British War Medal, And the Allied Victory Medal, but he also received the British Military Medal for Bravery In The Field, it’s believed he ran into no mans land and saved one or more comrades under enemy fire... I’m incredibly proud to be related to him, and here are those above mentioned Medals worn by myself in memory of my Uncle Arthur (Note I’m wearing them on my right side due to them not being my own Medals) Also a phot of Uncle Arthur himself with my Nan. I hope you enjoy looking at these :) 

549F0E8C-20D5-46B2-B0FA-45E1F6393901.jpeg

E2A0C4FC-E6E2-4B0C-9FC5-3F98DE3D1420.jpeg

54B1AF0B-C9C4-406D-BF99-E87038269D52.jpeg

Edited by LazyBuzzard86
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1